Territory Generation was formed in 2014 as part of the Northern Territory Government’s structural reforms of the Power and Water Corporation.
The first power stations in The Northern Territory were built in 1934 in Darwin and 1937 in Alice Springs. In 1978 the Northern Territory Electricity Commission was formed, which in 1987 joined with the NT Water Authority to establish the Power and Water Authority.
The Power and Water Corporation, the Northern Territory’s first government owned corporation, was created in 2002. Generation sites have seen significant growth and change over the years and our stations now contain a combination of the latest technologies as well as heritage equipment. In December 2013 the Northern Territory Government announced reforms to the structure of the NT electricity market and Territory Generation, a new Government Owned Corporation was separated from Power and Water on 1 July 2014.
Territory Generation has a number of sites of heritage interest which have contributed significantly to the growth and development of the Territory. Read about these historical landmarks here.